If the latest technology or entertainment options are important in your new home, add the following questions to your buyer’s checklist.
- Are there enough jacks in every room for cable TV and high-speed Internet hookups?
- Are there enough telephone extensions or jacks?
- Is the home prewired for a home theater or multi-room audio and video?
- Does the home have a local area network for linking computers?
- Does the home already have wiring for DSL or other high-speed Internet connection?
- Does the home have multizoning heating and cooling controls with programmable thermostats?
- Does the home have multi-room lighting controls, window-covering controls, or other home automation features?
- Is the home wired with multi-purpose in-wall wiring that allows for reconfigurations to update services as technology changes?
Visit the Consumer Electronics Association (www.ce.org/techhomerating) for a complete Tech Home Rating Checklist.